Summer will soon be here (hallelujah!) so why not start making plans for a popular summertime tradition…a BBQ!
May is the return of National BBQ month so we thought we’d put together a guide on some essentials you’ll need to think about when preparing for the perfect BBQ.
Once you’ve confirmed a date with friends, bought a few disposable BBQ’s (please make sure you follow all safety instructions carefully!) then its time to pick your theme, food and drink!
Pen and paper at the ready…
We may be adults, but we all have a soft spot for fancy dress! Why not pick a theme for your BBQ – we’ve picked out our top 5.
- Beach party – bring on the grass skirts, straw hats and the embarrassing short-sleeve summer shirt
- Jungle – animal masks and face paint at the ready…
- Unicorns & Mermaids – because everyone wants to be a unicorn or mermaid, right?
- Hollywood – keep it sophisticated and FULL of glam
- Grecian – reveal your inner Roman Greek God or Goddess
Firebox has some amazing party accessories that will be sure to bring your themed party to life. From giant pink flamingos and tropical beach blankets, to unicorn string lights and toucan inflatable drink holders – WOW your guests with some fab themed decs! You’ll get 10% off EVERYTHING too with your NUS extra card.
Well, there wouldn’t be a BBQ without the food! A variety of meat and nibbles is important, because you can never have too much. Don’t forget that you’ll receive 10% off your shopping bill at the Co-op with your NUS extra card (…just saying!)
Here are our top BBQ meat must haves;
- Burgers (meat or veggie)
- Sausages (meat or veggie)
- Chicken – Skewers, Drumsticks, Breasts
With all mains, you need a garnish. We’ve picked out 3 of our fav side dishes – there quick and easy to make, giving you more time to spend with your guests, winner!
Cucumber, Tomato and Avocado Salad
Perfect for all those Avocado Advocates – this colourful side dish makes a perfect filling between burger buns! Natasha’s Kitchen shows us how it’s done.
BBQ Chicken Skillet Nachos
Nachos is the perfect sharing platter and with added barbecued chicken, you can’t go wrong. This quick and easy recipe from Salt and Lavender takes just 25 mins!
Mini Garlic & Parmesan Hasselback Potato’s
This gorgeous gluten free option is a great accompany to your BBQ. Scrummy Lane’s recipe shows us how to make these delicious side sensations.
Don’t forget your plates and cutlery too!
You definitely need a thirst quenching drink to serve to your guests. Here’s a luscious summer punch by Tablespoon that will go down a treat – prep the night before and leave in the fridge!
Watermelon Picnic Punch
1 mini seedless watermelon
8 oz lemon juice
2 cups frozen strawberries
¾ cup sugar
2 cups ice
- Slice the mini watermelon in half, using a spoon to scrape all of the fruit from the centre of the melon. Place in a large blender.
- Add the lemon juice, strawberries, sugar, and ice to the blender. Blend until pureed.
- Pour lemonade straight from your blender, or pour into a pitcher. For an extra fun way to serve this drink, pour it into the two empty halves of the watermelon, add a skewered strawberry and lemon for garnish, and then slurp your lemonade from a straw!
So there you have it – the perfect summer BBQ, Enjoy!